So I’ve finally gotten past the pondering stage, to where I’m working on the portrait today. This one is from a photo, and is meant to look pretty close to photorealistic when it’s done (though not exactly, of course, or why bother asking for a painting?). So this won’t be my usual dashed-off Friday work, although some of those elements are incorporated into the beginning.
Anyway, enough talk, here’s the progress for today:
I blocked in the background a couple days ago, then let it dry so I don’t have to focus on it. Later, I’ll probably go back and give it more depth, but for now the important thing is to have a solid starting ground that won’t halo the figures. Staying in the lines is overrated 😉
I’m starting my favorite way, completely ignoring flesh tones in favor of sketching out the figures, then filling in with primaries in strategic places. Ultimately, the primaries probably won’t be visible, but having them there underneath the heavier layers gives me a framework to work with.
After letting it sit and dry for a bit, I went back in with the first layer of flesh tones. it’s still at the awkward stage, but this is a good stopping point for today. Tomorrow, assuming it’s not still too wet, I’ll go back in and start refining.